The concept of Forest School originates from Scandinavia and involves learning in an outdoor environment with a play-based approach. The benefits of Forest School are many, for instance:
- At Forest School children are physically active for much of the time which is great for their overall physical and mental health.
- Children have space to take part in a “wild” yet entirely safe environment.
- The outdoors offers an engaging setting for children to learn how to solve problems, be creative and imaginative.
- There are always new things to see and hear which means new words and new knowledge.
- Forest School gives children the opportunity to have fun, play, get muddy together and simply be children and all without a screen!
Forest School for 2-5 year olds
Forest School sessions are led by staff who have gained a level 3 qualification in Forest School leadership. They are trained to use of a variety of tools and light fires with the children all within a safe environment.
Forest schools are increasingly common around the UK because they offer a unique opportunity for children to learn differently – in a setting where they can feel comfortable and happy. We encourage investigation and adventure in a safe outdoor environment, and our children love it.
There’s really nothing quite like spending time outside. Not only is it wonderful for children to get plenty of fresh air and exercise – there’s a lot they can learn about themselves and the world around them. At forest school we regularly see children becoming more confident, more talkative and more able to persevere.
Our forest school is part of the fantastic outdoor space at our Hazel Avenue site and it’s the perfect place for children to explore through nature-based learning.
All of our nursery children will attend forest school sessions during their time with us. We also offer additional fee-paying forest school sessions in the holiday periods.
For more information please call us on 01483 566589 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, please see below our online Forest School Enquiry form. Either fill out and submit this online or send a copy of the form to:
Guildford Nursery School and Children’s Centre