Children who have English as a second or third language are very welcome at our nursery school and we work alongside parents and carers to make sure that we offer the best learning environment.
Before your child joins our nursery, we’ll make sure you are happy with the way we work and communicate with you and your child, and we’ll show you how we help your child to learn English alongside their first language. We can share resources with you that will help you to support your child wherever you can.
We support children who are multilingual or who are at an early stage of acquiring the English language in the following ways:
- Before your child starts at nursery two members of staff will visit you and your child at home to start building a secure, positive relationship. You will be able to tell staff about your child and help us to communicate with them.
- Photos of each child and their family are displayed in the nursery.
- Settling sessions are designed to suit individual children and we will work with you to ensure that your child has a successful start.
- Signs and gestures are used to reinforce words.
- We use your child’s interests and experiences and make sure we include those in what we plan for children.
- There is a visual timetable for children to see the order in which day to day events happen.
- We read and tell stories using props (toys, pictures etc.).
- Some of the books are written in both English and another language.
- We use – google translate, apps, translator service (Language Link) and interpreters to help us communicate with you.
- Each child has their own learning journey book so that they can always look at personal photos from home and nursery.
- We display significant words in the children’s home languages e.g. hello, goodbye.
- We invite families in for sessions to watch and support the children’s learning.
- We do small group work with children to help them learn English.
- We play simple games such as lotto, I-spy to help with naming common objects.
- We run multi-cultural coffee mornings and workshops for parents.
- Many of our forms and letters are available in other languages.
- Parents can join the parents’ group.
- We celebrate events that are relevant to the children and invite parents to join us.
- We invite parents to come to nursery and read a story in their first language.
Do please visit us to find out more.